I'm just putting up this picture of a little bird on our new pond (did I mention our new place has a pond?), and a little more info about it. I finally identified it after much searching as a pied-billed grebe. Here are some more links from around the web for information:
- At this link you can read a little info about it and hear its sound.
- This one is very similar, but I'm posting mostly because it's another site to search for identifying birds in the future.
- Wikipedia's article has more info.
- One more link with info.
- Here's a short but good close-up video from YouTube.
- Here's a video of one calling from its nest. They build their nests on the water.
- A longer video of some babies.
- Here's a picture of a baby on the mother's back.
- I didn't find video of the pied-billed grebes on the mother's back, but here's a different kind of grebe with fighting babies. I'm not the only mother with children who have arguments. :)
Already the space both on the land and in the new home has been so nice. We are so very blessed and thankful.
Now I must get back to packing. :)